MENDOTA, Ailing. (WLS) — Lots of of animals died when a fireplace in Mendota, Illinois ripped via a number of storefronts and a pet store within the metropolis’s downtown space Friday morning, Mendota hearth officers stated.
The fireplace began in an upstairs residence within the 700-block of Illinois Avenue and unfold to a number of properties on the block, officers stated.
Authorities say the flats above the companies have been additionally destroyed. No residents have been damage.
A number of vacant storefronts have been broken, and a pet store on the block was most affected. It was a complete loss, hearth officers stated.
Jennifer Sibley and Chandra Cearns are clinging to hope solely hours after the fireplace raced via their Fin Fur Feather Pet Store, killing lots of of their animals.
“We could not save every part, however we saved what we might,” Sibley stated.
RELATED: Maywood New Life in Christ Bible church seems for manner ahead after devastating hearth
The ladies have been planning on opening a brand new pet retailer after lately combining the retailers that they had individually owned. The shop plans to promote rabbits, fish, guinea pigs, birds, and reptiles, together with animal feed.
“We weren’t the conventional pet store,” Cearns stated. “You walked in, it was the hometown pet store the place you bought to sit down and speak.”
The flames erupted late Thursday evening within the 700-block of Illinois Avenue within the downtown district of the city of roughly 7,000 residents. Mendota is about 90 miles southwest of Chicago, in LaSalle County.
“I had a buddy name me,” Sibley stated. “I used to be preparing for mattress and he stated the store was on hearth… I grabbed my coat, ran out barefoot, received in my truck. I dwell 4 blocks from right here and it was already stuffed with smoke and up in flames. “
Firefighters from a number of neighboring areas battled the flames into Friday morning. Crews even demolished a vacant city-owned constructing to cease the fireplace’s unfold.
Whereas just a few animals have been saved, the store’s fowl mascots Lucy and Mango together with a tortoise named Lil’ Foot have been among the many many pets misplaced.
“To lose stuff like that is simply devastating,” stated Andora Cearns, the daughter of one of many store’s house owners. “It is your entire laborious work gone. It is your loved ones members, they’re household to us. Animals are our livelihood.”
Metropolis officers stated this was the second current hearth within the downtown space. Final August, a fireplace destroyed a number of storefronts.
The reason for the fireplace stays beneath investigation. In the meantime, the pet store house owners are vowing to rebuild.
Copyright © 2022 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.