Published: Apr. 26, 2023 at 7:17 AM CDT|Updated: 20 hours ago
Funding Available to Help Scientists Investigate the Human-Pet Connection and the
Healing Power of Dogs and Cats
st. LOUIS, April 26, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — The scientists and pet experts at Purina are seeking grant proposals from researchers interested in studying the unique and powerful bond between pets and people. The bi-annual Purina Sponsorship for Human-Animal Bond studies program provides up to $30,000 in research funding per project. The application period is open until July 15, 2023.
Preferences will be given to proposals exploring the potential benefits of the human-pet bond in the following areas:
1. Mental health
- Abusive relationships/domestic violence
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Use of pets in therapy/counseling sessions
2. Shelter pets and adoption
- Benefits of pet adoption
- Benefits of volunteering at pet shelters
- Animal Assisted Therapy in pediatric healthcare settings
- Facility or therapy pets at schools
- Pets as emotional and mental health support
- Role of pets in youth sports
“Everything we do at Purina is based on science and research and working with the scientific community to grow our collective knowledge about the power of pets in society, which is part of our DNA,” said François Martin, MA, Ph.D., Manager, Global Pet Behavior and Welfare at Purina. “There is no doubt that pets make our lives better. Continued research helps us understand all of the ways we benefit from them at home and far beyond.”
With 500 pet nutritionists, veterinarians, behaviorists and other credentialed pet experts on staff, Purina invests more than $100 million in research each year. This research has led to countless groundbreaking innovations to help pets live longer, healthier lives.
Rules for 2024 Sponsorship Applications
- Only proposals about cats and/or dogs will be evaluated.
- All proposed research must use non-invasive research studies and procedures consistent with routine veterinary care. Purina is committed to the health and wellbeing of pets. Purina does not participate in any invasive research that causes injury, illness, or disease or that results in euthanasia of dogs or cats and will not allow it.
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. or equivalent. Preference will be given to applications from recently qualified researchers with less than 10 years since the award of Ph.D.
Researchers interested in applying and getting more details can visit www.purina.com/HumanAnimalBond. Completed applications must be sent to [email protected].
Nestlé Purina PetCare creates richer lives for pets and the people who love them. Founded in 1894, Purina has helped dogs and cats live longer, healthier lives by offering scientifically based nutritional innovations. Purina manufactures some of the world’s most trusted and popular pet care products, including Purina ONE, Pro Plan, Fancy Feast and Tidy Cats. Our more than 10,000 US associates take pride in our trusted pet food, treat and litter brands that feed 51 million dogs and 65 million cats every year. More than 500 Purina scientists, veterinarians, and pet care experts ensure our commitment to elemental passed quality and nutrition.
Purina promotes responsible pet care through our scientific research, our products and our support for pet-related organizations. Over the past five years, Purina has contributed more than $150 million towards organizations that bring, and keep, people and pets together, as well as those that help our communities and environment thrive.
Purina is part of Nestlé, a global leader in Nutrition, Health and Wellness. For more information, visit purina.com or subscribe here to get the latest Purina news.
View original content to download multimedia:
SOURCE Nestle Purina PetCare
The above press release was provided courtesy of PRNewswire. The views, opinions and statements in the press release are not endorsed by Gray Media Group nor do they necessarily state or reflect those of Gray Media Group, Inc.